Sunday, October 28, 2012

REVIEW: Saga #1-#6 by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples

WOW! That's all I have to say after reading Saga #1-#6. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples made me enjoy reading a comics again.

I've been a long time DC and Marvel comics fan and lately I'm getting tired of all the pointless reboots and endless crossovers and confusing storylines that are happening with the Big Two. I've been a Batman and X-Men fan since I was a kid and lately, I'm no longer hooked with the storylines. I was really excited with the New 52 and the relaunch of the X-Men but after all was said and done, it was just a big disappointment for me. I could never recapture the magic that I felt while reading these comics years ago.

I need to read something new, something different. So I started to check out other comics and the first thing that caught my attention was Saga. After reading the first issue, I was instantly hooked. I could not stop reading till issue six. It was just that good. I never had this much fun reading a comic book. Brian K. Vaughan is at the top of his game here. His ideas are unique and fresh and I can't wait for more. This, combined with Fiona Staples' red-hot art truly elevates the quality of this book.

Saga is the story of Hazel, who is narrating the story from a future point in time. She was relating the events leading up to her birth and how her parents, Marko and Alana, tried to escape the planet Cleave after evading Freelancers working for Wreath and winged soldiers from Landfall. BTW, Landfall is the largest planet in the galaxy while Wreath is its one and only moon and they are not getting along well. Marko and ? are not unlike Romeo and Juliet. They are members of warring factions from Wreath and Landfall, respectively,  and both sides are not happy with their union, most particularly with their newborn child.

Just one of the humorous moments
This comics is highly recommended for both SF and Fantasy fans since both genres feature well in the story. Marko's home planet moon,Wreath, is more on the Fantasy side while Landfall, Alana's home planet, is more on the SF side. It has humor, excitement, action, suspense, everything.

I can't wait when issue seven is finally released. Thanks Brian and Fiona for helping me rediscover the joy of reading comics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...